Marcel acquired this building, anciently called
"maison des piliers", on behalf of
the town of Paris in 1357.
From that moment on that building became the
municipal institution of Paris that before
had been located in the "parloir aux Bourgeois",
near the Chatelet area, and then transferred
in the Sainte-Genevieve Mountain.
The old building that Étienne Marcel had bought
was deeply renewed and replaced, during the
XVI century, by a more modern one designed
by the Italian architect Boccadoro.
Its construction started in 1533 and was completed
Then, significant modifications have been
made in 1836 and 1850 but the Renaissance
facade was left untouched.
The building was reduced to ashes in a sudden
fire in 1871.
The Hotel de Ville (town hall) was
rebuilt between 1874 and 1882 by the architects
Théodore Ballu and Edouard Deperthes.
The facade was recreated following faithfully
the renaissance style of the first building.
The ballroom is 13 meters high and it is the
most beautiful room of the building.
The Place de Grève, renamed place
de l'Hôtel-de-Ville in honor of the building,
has become a pedestrian area in 1982.
The Hotel de Ville is the place were
the mayor of Paris receives is international
guests and where important exhibitions are
held every year.
The main monumental façade is decorated with
statues representing personages that have
made the history of France: Eugène Delacroix,
Jean Bernard Léon Foucault, André Le Nôtre,
Pierre Lescot, Jules Muchelet, François Miron,
Alfred de Musset, Charles Perrault, Jean-Baptiste
Pialle, Richelieu, Madame de Staël, Voltaire
Place de l'Hotel de Ville
Hotel de Ville
Visits only upon reservation at 01.42.76.54.04