in 1963 upon request of the marquis of Marigny,
brother of Pompadour, place de la Concorde
is the first square of Paris having a geometric
The square has a uniform architecture and
a royal statue, the one of Louis XV that
was destroyed in 1792.
The architect Gabriel opened the square
to the river Seine on the south side, to
the Tuileries garden on the east side and
to the hill of the Etoile on the west side.
Only the north side of the square is not
open: it is closed by two magnificent buildings
framing the perspective to the Madeleine
The obelisk and the fountains in the middle
of the square, the façade of the
chamber of deputies and the Arc of Triumph,
all of them built in the XIX century, have
not belittled the beauty of this square.
It is, without any doubt, one of the most
beautiful architectural works of Paris.